(As the season allows add Fresh Peas, Wilted Spinach or Asparagus Pieces)
Chef Mark Filatow, Waterfront Restaurant
Makes 4 x 300ml bowls
– 300g Jerusalem Artichoke (otherwise known as Sunroot/Sunchoke) peeled and sliced into 1 inch pieces
– 50g Butter
– 50g peeled sliced shallot or leek
– 8 fennel seeds
– 1 Bay Leaf
– 50g pancetta slices cut into small pieces
– 50ml White Wine
– 500ml Chicken Stock (or vegetable stock)
– 250ml Whipping Cream
– 4 Quadra Island Scallops
– 1 Tbs cut Fresh Chives
– Sea Salt and Pepper
Part A (can be made 48hrs ahead)
1. In a heavy bottomed pot on medium flame/heat, add a dash of olive oil.
Add the pancetta and let brown, remove and reserve on paper towel.
2. Add the Butter, Jerusalem Artichokes (peeled and sliced into 1 inch pieces), Shallot, Fennel Seed and Bay Leaf.
Cook until the Jerusalem Artichokes are soft.
3. Add the white wine, let cook for 1 minute, then add the chicken stock, 1tsp sea salt and cream.
4. Let the liquid come up to a light simmer, turn the heat down to med/low and let simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Remove the Bay Leaf and transfer the liquid to a blender. Remove the centre part of the top. Place the top onto the blender jug. Place a kitchen towel over the top. Process until the puree is smooth.
6. Reserve the Puree/Soup for another day or keep going.
1/2 hr before you wish to serve this soup pull the scallops from the fridge and place on paper towel on a plate.
1. Reheat the soup in a pot. Do not boil!
2. Heat a cast iron pan or good non stick skillet on a medium high flame/heat.
3. Season the Scallops with salt, pat both sides dry with the paper towel. When the pan is hot add a tbsp oil.
4. Add the scallops to the pan, Sear for 1 minute on each side, transfer the scallops to a fresh piece of paper towel.
5. Divide the pancetta into 4 bowls, Divide the soup between the 4 bowls. Add a scallop to each bowl. Sprinkle with Chives and serve! This is great with a big glass of full bodied Chardonnay!