A nice light summer appetizer that combines the sweetness of the long red pepper and subtle savoury Indian flavours.
– Jas Dosanj, Poppadoms – Taste India!
– 1 red sweet long pepper (if you can’t find these, a red bell pepper will work too)
– 1 tsp. vegetable oil
– 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
– 1/2 small white onion (diced)
– 1/2 yellow bell pepper (small dice)
– 1/2 green bell pepper (small dice)
– Salt (to taste)
– 1 Thai green chilli (finely chopped)
– 1/2 tsp. ground coriander powder
– 1 cup plain basmati rice (pre-boiled)
Wash the long sweet pepper, dry, and slice in half.
Season the pepper with a pinch of salt, a sprinkle of cumin seeds and a drizzle of vegetable oil. Leave to one side.
In a frying pan heat 1tsp. vegetable oil on medium heat.
Once oil is heated add the cumin seeds and let crackle.
Add onions and cook for approx. 5 minutes until golden brown.
Add diced yellow and green peppers, followed by the green chilli. Stir together and cook for approx. 3 minutes.
The peppers should be nice and crunchy.
Add salt, plus ground coriander powder, then mix together.
Finally add the pre-cooked rice and combine until hot.
Heat the grill or BBQ. Place the red pepper halves and grill both sides (approx. 2 1/2 minutes each side).
Once the pepper is grilled, fill rice mixture into both halves.