Pan Seared Venison Steaks with Cannery Brewery Blackberry Porter Cream Reduction
Recipe by Jordan Ash, Executive Chef/Owner Flambe Catering
1 lb thinly sliced venison loin steaks, about ¼” thick (pork loin or chicken breast would work fine too if you don’t have venison)
¾ cup Cannery Brewing Blackberry Porter
1 tbsp minced shallot
1 tbsp butter
250 ml 35% cream
2 tsp honey
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp grainy Dijon mustard
½ tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tbsp vegetable oil
• Marinate venison steaks in ¼ cup of the Blackberry Porter and ½ tsp of the black pepper overnight.
• Bring venison steaks to room temperature for about 20 mins.
• Preheat a heavy pan on medium-high heat.
• Lay the steaks on paper towels and dry on both sides. Season liberally with salt, pepper and ground coriander.
• Add the vegetable oil to a hot pan; when the oil ripples, the pan is hot. Sear the steaks for about one minute per side (will be medium-rare) remove them and keep in a warm place.
• Turn the heat down, add the butter and shallots, sauté until golden brown, add the remaining Blackberry Porter and reduce by ¾.
• Add the vinegar, cream and remaining ingredients, continue to reduce until thickened, season with salt and pepper to taste and serve over the steaks.
Visit the new www.CanneryBrewing.com website for additional recipes.