This summer, Tinhorn Creek Vineyards celebrates 25 years of achievement, quality and innovation. Established in 1994 when the wine scene in Oliver was still in its infancy, Tinhorn Creek grew alongside the region, quickly gaining the reputation as a pioneer in the BC wine industry. This past quarter century, the South Okanagan wine region has flourished and grown.
Written By: Katie Truscott
A Leader in Viticulture
Tinhorn Creek first established itself in the 1990s when the majority of surrounding farms planted fruits and vegetables. Grapevines were uncommon. Tinhorn Creek became a leader in viticulture, inspiring others to follow suit. It was the third winery to open south of Penticton and over the years has become a key example of success, paving the way forward for other emerging wineries. The team at Tinhorn Creek Vineyards now looks ahead to an even brighter future in an ever-growing, blooming and booming wine industry.
Celebrations and Events
Leading up to the anniversary this summer, there are some exciting, not-to-be-missed events happening at the winery.
• Miradoro Restaurant re-opens March 1 with a special value $39 three-course menu for the entire month. Come greet the start of spring with fine cuisine and sweeping views of the South Okanagan from the restaurant patio.
• Back by popular demand are communal table dinners at Miradoro Restaurant. These bring locals and visitors together to celebrate regional food and wine, and feature fare that is local, rustic, simple, straightforward and seasonal. Held every Tuesday from April to May for $38 per person. Make your reservation today.
• Bring the kids down for an Easter egg hunt amid the vines followed by an Easter brunch on Sunday, April 21 from 11 am to 3 pm.
• Have you ever wondered what a day in the life of a viticulturist is like? Come enjoy a vineyard walk and sip on May 3 from 3 to 6 pm with Tinhorn’s charming Andrew Moon. Ask questions and learn all about vineyard practices, sustainability and the Golden Mile Bench sub-appellation. Afterwards, enjoy an alfresco reception with wine and canapés at Miradoro Restaurant.
• Come to Rosé All Day with a flight of delicious BC rosés, tasty tapas from locally sourced ingredients, live music and breathtaking views. It all happens
May 5 at Miradoro.
• Mother’s Day is May 12. Join Tinhorn Creek along with Chef Jeff Van Geest and his talented team to tour, sip and savour, making it an unforgettable afternoon for Mom.
So Much to Do!
Anniversary festivities will officially kick off with an open house on June 1. Expect loads of entertainment, wine, canapés and fun.
The return of summer brings with it the return of Tinhorn’s extremely popular Canadian Concert Series. From May to September, guests can come soak up the sun and enjoy some of Canada’s top musical talent. Come sip award-winning wines and take in the spectacular views of the Southern Okanagan Valley from the amphitheatre.
Summertime yoga takes place every Saturday at 9 am from June 1 until August 31. Enjoy an hour of outdoor yoga on the grass in the amphitheatre, and start the weekend with some good vibes.
Over the next 25 years, Tinhorn Creek will continue to offer premium and innovative guest experiences in fine wine and dining. The award-winning Miradoro Restaurant is one of the best in the province and shouldn’t be missed. Chef Jeff Van Geest always goes that extra mile to remain at the forefront of cuisine, utilizing what nature provides by foraging and sourcing local ingredients, expressing the South Okanagan through plate presentation and taste.
Sparkling Celebrations Too!
In honour of 25 years, Tinhorn Creek is releasing an exciting sparkling wine in May. This traditional-method Blanc de Noir sparkling has spent two years en Tirage, and is the winery’s first traditional-method sparkling.
Eighty cases will be available for purchase both on site and in the restaurant. This bubbly is built to age, making it a wonderful collector’s purchase for the cellar. It’s also a delight to pop and enjoy now. According to winemaker Andrew Windsor, 2016 was a wonderful year in the vineyard and provided some of the best grapes for sparkling, which is reflected the unique terroir of the Black Sage Bench in this wine.
Come join Tinhorn Creek at one or all of the exciting events this spring and summer and help the team celebrate 25 glorious years “drinking the creek dry.”