Raspberries, Young Coconut, Curry and Vanilla Dressing Recipe courtesy of Chef Castro, houseofboateng.ca
- 125 ml curry powder
- 30 ml tumeric powder
- 750 ml vegetable oil
- 1 vanilla bean
- 125 ml white balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp preserved lemon
- Salt to taste
- 2 young coconuts
- 3 large avocados
- 1lb mixed greens
- 1/4 lb fresh raspberries
- A few edible flowers (optional)
- 1/4 carrot, julienned (optional)
1. Combine turmeric, curry powder and 250 ml of oil in a small saucepan. Place on a very low heat to simmer. Stir using a wooden spoon.
2. Cut vanilla bean in half, scrape off the seeds with the back of a small knife. Add both the seeds and the pod to the spice mixture.
3. Stir and continue to simmer on low heat for 6-8 minutes to make a paste. Set aside to allow the paste to cool (you will have more paste then you need for the recipe).
1. Combine 2 Tbsp of the paste with vinegar, Dijon mustard, preserved lemon, salt and pepper into a blender.
2. Start the blender for 15 seconds so all the ingredients combine. On low speed, slowly drizzle in the oil to create an emulsion. Dressing should be emulsified.
3. Save the remaining paste for later use. It’s best to cover the paste with a few tablespoons of oil, then place it in the fridge.
1. Cut the top off the young coconut by using a large, sharp chef’s knife. This is tricky, but the key is to angle your knife slightly downwards towards the coconut.
Take your time and cut five corners off the top. Drain the coconut water and drink the water (if you have made it this far, you deserve to drink the coconut water!).
2. Scoop out the coconut using a tablespoon and remove any excess shell.
Julienne the coconut and set aside.
3. Remove the pit from the avocado, carefully remove the avocado from the skin, then cut into small cubes.
4. Peel and julienne carrot, if using.
5. To serve, place some of the dressing in the bottom of a bowl. Add the avocado.
Toss the greens with the coconut. Lightly drizzle some of the dressing on to the greens. Place the greens in the bowl. Garnish with raspberries, edible flowers and julienned carrot.