Courtesy of Oliver Twist Winery
Spiced Couscous with Raisins and Almonds
- 2 C hot water
- 3/4 C raisins
- 4 Tbsp butter, divided
- 3 Tbsp Oliver Twist Kerner wine
- 1/2 tsp saffron threads (optional)
- 1C couscous
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3/4 C sliced, toasted almonds
- 2 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Soak raisins in hot water for 15 minutes to soften, then drain water into a large saucepan (reserve raisins).
- Add 2 Tbsp butter, Kerner and saffron (if using) to the pan with water, and bring to a boil.
- Stir in couscous, cover and remove from heat. Let stand for about 15 minutes to absorb the liquid.
- Melt 2 Tbsp butter, add onion and cook until translucent.
- Mix the onion, raisons, almonds and cinnamon into the couscous.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve warm with the roast chicken. Pair vegetables and your favourite people.
Moroccan-Style Roast Chicken
- 1/4 C butter, melted
- 1/4 C honey
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 4.75- to 5lb whole chicken, rinsed and patted dry
- Position rack low in oven and preheat to 400°F.
- Whisk butter, honey, cinnamon and turmeric in a bowl, reserving 1.4 of the mix.
- Brush the chicken with the honey butter, then season with salt and pepper.
- Bake until the thigh of the chicken reaches 165-170°F (usually 1.5-2 hours). Cover with foil if browning too quickly.
- Serve with reserved honey butter.