courtesy of Winery Chef Carson Bibby of Nighthawk Vineyards Serves 10
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- 1/2 cup cold butter, chopped
- 1 cup grated aged cheddar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups heirloom cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 Tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp lemon extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 2 cups fresh ricotta
- 2 Tbsp buttermilk
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- Fresh lemon thyme, to garnish
- Fresh basil or pea shoots, to garnish
To make the pastry, place the flour, salt, butter and cheddar in the bowl of a food processor and process until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the egg and process until the pastry comes together. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Grate the pastry into a 28-cm round tart tin and press into the base and sides of the tin. Prick the base with a fork and cook for 20-22 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Allow to cool completely.
Place the tomato, vinegar, oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine. Place the ricotta, buttermilk, lemon rind, salt and pepper in a separate bowl and mix to combine.
Spread the tart base with the ricotta mixture and top with the tomato mixture. To serve, sprinkle with lemon balm, basil, salt and pepper.