by Volcanic Hills
Volcanic Hills created a delicious mulled wine recipe for those chilly nights. It tastes great and your home will smell amazing!
- 2 – 750-ml bottles of Volcanic Hills Estate Winery Lava Red, Gamay or Merlot
- 10 whole cloves
- 3 – 3-inch cinnamon sticks
- 2 star anise
- 1 whole nutmeg, cracked with the side of a knife into a few pieces
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp whole black peppercorns
- 1 clementine or tangerine, washed and cut into quarters (peel kept on)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar; more to taste
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1-2 Tbsp Grand Marnier (optional; add to taste depending on the size of your orange)
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1. In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, toast the cloves, cinnamon, star anise, nutmeg, coriander and peppercorns, stirring occasionally, until aromatic, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer the spices to a 6×6-inch piece of cheesecloth and set the pan aside to cool slightly. Gather the corners of the cheesecloth and tie with butcher’s twine to make a sachet.
- 2. Add the wine, sugar and clementine to a saucepan along with the sachet. Heat the wine mixture uncovered over very low heat for 1 hour to infuse it with the spices. The mixture should steam, but take care to never let it boil.
- 3. Using a pair of tongs, gently and carefully squeeze the juice from the clementine or tangerine into the wine mixture. Remove any seeds that may be expelled from the orange into the wine. Discard the juiced citrus pieces and the sachet.
- 4. Stir the brandy, Grand Marnier (if using) and vanilla into the wine and taste. Add more sugar if needed to round out the flavours, but not so much that it tastes sweet. Serve warm in your favourite glass mug, or a thick-walled wine glass.
As an added bonus, they will give 15 per cent off on your two bottles of Gamay, Lava Red or Merlot for your mulled wine. Simply shop online and use the code MERRY&MULLED at the checkout. Offer good until January 2, 2021.