Courtesy of Black Hills Estate Winery
Created by Tapas Gordito’s Sous Chef Max Dallemore and Chef Jeff Van Geest
- 1 lb or ½ kg ground lamb
- 1 small onion, grated on a cheese grater
- 4 Tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- Kosher salt to taste
- 12 bamboo skewers, presoaked in water to prevent burning on the grill
Fire up the grill on high heat, preferably over charcoal (use lump charcoal instead of briquettes for a higher quality).
Mix all ingredients and form into golf-ball-sized balls, flatten slightly and slide on to bamboo skewers.
Set aside on a plate or tray while the grill heats up and you make the yogurt sauce.
- 250 ml Greek yogurt
- 1 clove of garlic chopped or microplaned
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- Juice and zest of one lemon
- Salt to taste
Combine all ingredients and place in a nice serving bowl.
Grill kaftas until just cooked through.
Serve on a platter with a drizzle of nice olive oil and the bowl of yogurt sauce.